Monday, January 3, 2011

A Little News With Lots More Tomorrow

We got a quick phone call from the allergist today with Emma's blood work.  Her blood test showed that she was ONLY allergic to peanuts.  No other nuts or environmental agents.  Her level of allergy is classified as a 3, and I was told that was high, so they needed us to come back in for a follow up to go over what that means, and talk about things.  So we have that appointment tomorrow morning. 
With my work at the hospital and with cancer diagnoses, I am use to stages of 1-4 with 4 being the highest.  Since I was told that a level 3 was considered high, I just assumed it only went up to level 4.  While Emma has been sleeping, I have done a little bit of research and it looks like the levels for allergies goes up to 6.  With level 3 being high, and levels 5&6 being extremely high.  But within those levels, there are different ranges, and I don't know what range Emma falls into.  I will find that out tomorrow.  It also sounds like there are a lot of factors that make these test not 100% accurate, so they are used more as a guide.
I am kind of thinking we will be told to have strict avoidance of nuts over this next year.  Then we go back for our yearly appointment, we will find out what direction all of her levels are going.  Hopefully down!  I will be back tomorrow with what we find out!

No comments: