Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Playing Catch Up

Since I haven't been working at the hospital anymore, I have wanted to find different ways that I could volunteer and help out in the community. Especially after having Emma and realizing how lucky we are on so many different levels the urge has grown stronger and stronger. I also want the "giving back" idea and helping others to be something that Emma grows up with and as she gets older have her participate in what ever ways she can.
From working at the hospital, I knew that the Ronald McDonald house needed groups to cook dinner for their families. All of the families that stay there have a child/children that are patients either at St. Joes, Phoenix Children's, or Cardon Children's. Some families stay only a couple of days, while others have been there for a year. So I recruited the ladies in my family and on Saturday we headed down to make dinner.
We needed to plan a menu for 40 people and we were told that a lot of groups make pasta dishes, so if possible to make something else. We decided for our first time to make a taco bar complete with rice, beans, and nacho cheese. It was a long night and I was exhausted the next morning, but we had a great time and everybody from the families to the employees were wonderful, helpful, and very friendly. It is something that we will continue doing and are already working on ideas for our next night!
We had this cute sign greet us when we walked into the kitchen.


I thought it would be fun if we all had aprons to wear. Shelly was nice enough to go out and buy extra aprons to make sure everyone had one!

Grandma getting some help with her apron

My cousin Jessi and Grandma on meat duty
My Great Aunt Nanie and Mom handling more meat and chopping.

My Aunt Jan and me chopping tomatoes and onions
We provided a craft table with Valentine stuff for the kids to do when they were done eating.


The spread.


The Chefs

1 comment:

Fisher Family said...

That is awesome Kari! Sounds like a lot of work, but fun too!