Thursday, February 4, 2010

Change in Plans

When it came to Emma and baby food, my goal was to have her done with it when she turned one. I wasn't even sure if this was a realistic goal, but thought I would make it any way. It seemed like once Emma started doing "table food" she kind of ran with the idea. Slowly but surely she was doing less and less baby food and more and more table food. She even decided she didn't like her bottle any more and had to start using her sippy cup for formula. Luckily she will take her bottle for bed time because that is when she is getting the bulk of her formula for the day ( a whole 6 ounces!). I had decided that Emma would finish up the baby food we had left at the house and then I wouldn't buy any more after that. This past weekend is when she decided she was done. I would feed it to her and she would spit it out. So all the baby food is cleaned out of the pantry and I am racking my brain to try and make sure she is getting a variety and not depending on the convenience of the frozen/pre-packaged meals. If anyone has suggestions I will gladly take them!
I have to admit, for breakfast we are going the frozen route and she will have mini pancakes or waffles with yogurt or applesauce. Lunch is some 9 grain bread, turkey, and a fruit. Her snacks consist of anything from puffs to cheerios to graham crackers. Dinner is usually some sort of version of what we are having, or noodles, chicken, and a veggie. She LOVES avocado, green beans, and cheese. Since cheese adds to her tummy issues, we really only give it to her once or twice a week. Unfortunately we don't have a Trader Joes or other speciality grocery store out by us. Now that Emma is officially eating table food, I see a trip to one as part of my week next week!

Trying Spaghetti for the first time

Not too sure what to think of it...

Maybe I like it...
All done! She had a much easier time if I fed her the spaghetti with her fork!

This dinner was a hit! Her favorite avocado, beans, rice, and Mexican Chicken. Yum! Notice the new cup? She was starting to struggle with her sippy cup so I wanted to see if she could drink out of a straw. She loved it and I was able to get her to drink a lot more water this way. So off we went the next morning to buy all new straw cups. Unfortunately they are all too tall and a little heavy for her to drink out of in her high chair. She would basically lay the cup down and then try to bend over to get to the straw! She got so frustrated with them that we had to go back to a different type of sippy cup. Maybe in a couple more months she can go back to the straw cups!

4 comments:

Dad said...

How about oatmeal for breakfast. The instant is quick and the fruit varieties are good.

bcolby said...

I know what you mean.

I think it's a great idea to truck out to Whole Foods/New Seasons/Trader Joes and stock up on snacks, new meal ideas etc. That's what I do-it works great esp if I have coffee in hand and Carly has a snack in hand. We're both happy and take our time to try new healthy things!

Carly just started drinking organic veggie juice...she likes salty stuff like me. Go figure?!? She thinks this is "juice"...ha! We also do the yogurt tubes frozen from Trader Joes-great for teething and low in sugar!

Sorry for the long comment but us mommy's need to share our ideas.

Emma is just adorable!

Anonymous said...

Annie's organic snacks are a hit in our house! They also have yummy pasta dishes! Does she like eggs? That is a fun meal too. I made all of London's food so if you would like any more ideas we can chat :)

Trust me I still feel so paranoid about making sure London gets good and balanced meals...it's very stressful.

-Eliana

k and j said...

Griff ate baby food wellllll after he was one. I was always insecure about it and then I was like, Oh well! We used to just feed Griff whatever we were eating and I usually cook balanced dinners. We would just cut everything up with kitchen shears and he would go to town!