Thursday, August 13, 2009

Naps



It has been a little over a week and a half that we have let Emma cry during her naps. I have to say, it wasn't has bad as I thought it would be. On the first day I would go in after 3 min, 5 min,
1o, and then 20min. The next day I would start at 5 min and so on and so on. There was only a couple of days that she would cry the whole 20 minutes and she wouldn't be crying that hard. By the 4th day she took her first official uninterrupted 3 hour nap!
Now, the longest she really cries is about 10 minutes and she only does that when she wakes up in the middle of one of her naps. That is the tricky thing right now. If she wakes herself up and hasn't slept long enough, she is a crabby baby! So Robert and I just have to figure out if she is really ready to get up, or if she needs more sleep. Her other new found skill is to pull the blanket over her head. So sometimes she is crying because she has gotten herself "stuck" under her blanket!
I wouldn't say that we are on a schedule, but more of a routine. She wakes up and goes to bed around the same time each day, and she usually takes a nap about 1 1/2 to 2 hours after she gets up. Her morning and early evening naps are usually a little harder for her to stay asleep and shorter, and her afternoon nap seems to be her best. I have also learned that if she is sleeping longer then I think she should, I just have to let her keep sleeping. I have made the mistake of waking her up from a nap and it wasn't pretty! I still feed her a bottle and rock her for a little bit when she goes to bed at night. I am not ready to give this time with her up yet. It is one of my favorite moments during the day. But for her naps, I lay her in her bed, give her her pacifier, put her bear on top of her head (so she doesn't pull it over her face), tuck her in, and turn on her animal show, and she goes to sleep on her own.
All in all, I am glad that we decided to do this. She is a happy baby the entire time that she is awake and even seems to sleep more peacefully during her naps. She has also stopped waking up in the middle of the night looking for her pacifier. (She really only uses it now for her naps.) And the best thing is when I go in to get her after she has a good nap, this is what I am greeted with.....

No comments: