Monday, September 1, 2008

Weekend Purchase


Yes, we bought bikes...mountain bikes at that. Robert and I have both been talking about needing to lose some weight as well as do some more exercising so we thought we would give bikes a try. We came to the conclusion of bikes for a couple of different reasons. One, Robert's dad rides his bike 24 miles daily and is always talking about what good exercise it is. And two...we have kind of tried everything else that you can do locally. (We had a membership to a gym for a while, and we wound up just "donating" our money; running is hard on Robert's knees; and walking isn't all that exciting.) We do love to go hiking, but we like to go hiking up north, so we needed something that we could do on a more consistent basis.
So bikes it is. We wound up finding them for a good price at Walmart. We didn't want anything too expensive since we are yet to see if this is something that we are going to stick with.
We went out for our first real ride today. And boy did it kick my butt! It is 10 times harder then hiking! Not only did I realize how out of shape I really am, but my butt is SORE. We even got a memory foam cushion and everything. We have a bike shop down the street from our house, so I think we are going to go there tomorrow to see if we can find better seats. We went down a trail behind our house. We rode in the dirt/sand the whole time. I am getting better, but definitely need more practice. I have a tendency to veer (not good on skinny trails) and I am not the best at steering. We wound up going 3 1/2 miles today. Not even close to the 24 that Robert's dad does, but it is a start!

3 comments:

mombrackin said...

I'm very excited for both of you. I know you will have lots of fun. However, I didn't read any mention of "helmets."

Love you both,

Mom

Fisher Family said...

Wow! Good for you guys. I really need to look into something like that for me!!

Anonymous said...

You will have all sorts of fun with your new bikes!
Don't forgot about our fall BBQ will want to have at your house!
Jenni : )