Sunday, January 3, 2010

My New Discovery

Lately I haven't been buying very many fruit or veggies at the store because they have been so expensive. I had heard about Bountiful Baskets before but was leery on trying it. It is a food co-op that is state wide, and is also in Washington, Utah, and Idaho. You pay $15 and you get a basket full of fresh fruit and veggies. You never know what you are going to get. It depends on what is in season and supply. They use local produce when they can and advertise that it is the same produce that is delivered to restaurants and stores. You also have the option of different "add ons" (these cost extra) like different breads, granola, herbs, and spices.
With it being the new year, and being sick of not having any fresh fruit or veggies, I decided to try it this week. When I went to pick up my loot, I was pleasantly surprised! Volunteers already have the produce split up, and I walked out with a milk crate over flowing with stuff. I know I would have spent way more then $15 for this at the store, plus I got stuff that I don't normally buy. We got a whole pineapple, watermelon, bananas, oranges, apples, pears, onions, celery, 2 bunches of romaine lettuce, radishes, bruscle sprouts, tomatoes, and squash (I think). Some of the apples and pears were bruised, but over all I am extremely happy and will do it again in the future. I am also excited to try some of the bread and other goodies. You can get all the information HERE. The website is a little hard to navigate, and right now you can really only read about the policies and see the locations. I think Wednesday night is when the next baskets become available and even though you don't know what is in the baskets, you can see what the extras offered for the week are.
Here is what we got!



And in Emma news....
As you can tell by this picture, she feels much better now. She had a couple of fevers in a 24 hour period, and other then being a little less active, a little more cuddly, and a less hungry, you would have never known she didn't feel good. I am not sure what caused the fevers, but am very glad that she is feeling better!

1 comment:

k and j said...

I might need to try that!